It owes its name from the Latin Caput Boreanum became Head Borano, Cavorano up to the name, not by chance Gavorrano was renowned throughout Italy for the considerable amount of Pyrite extracted annually from underground. Today is a quiet village which lies on the slopes of a hill called Monte Calvo granite. The first traces date back to 1188 through the description of a church baptismal belonging to the bishop of Grosseto. Now this ancient legacy, there remain only the ruins of walls interspersed with many towers, and the beautiful statue of the Madonna and Child fourteenth century work of John Augustine, kept in the church parish. It should not be forgotten finally Castle Caldana and the church of San Biagio dating back to 1158, both in dintori of Gavorrano.